V.I. Control Forum is a virtual-instruments-applications-oriented-community that has some of the most highly experienced post contributors in real time. Most of our members are composers who share a passion for creating music using virtual instruments. VI Control Forum has become an important resource for thousands of musicians and composers all over the world. Many of these contributors are experts in their field.
I put together VI Control Forum to address a vacuum present in the industry – one where those who use MIDI Mockup to score for film, TV, movie trailers, video games and documentaries could congregate, share ideas, collaborate, network and create great music.
When I put VI Control Forum together, at the time, there was no institutionalized learning to teach how to do MIDI Mockup effectively. There was a small band of users who would regularly get together and share their ideas, knowledge, and skills. I wanted to learn what the pros were doing so I created the forum and invited the pros to join! I began to learn that way – many did. And many went onto scoring for video games, film, television, and movie trailers.
Historically, VI has been a composer-based community. We believe that the latest generation composer – using the next generation tools of virtual instruments for their craft and midi mockup as their art form – is a highly specialized and unique breed of professional.
Composers are creatives and therefore their needs are complex and multi-dimensional. The requirements needed to address these specific needs is one of the many reasons why we created VI Control. Our aim is to provide a forum experience that is richly rewarding interpersonally as a hub for composers wanting to learn about what’s new to help their craft, get feedback for their cues, improving sonic production values, getting tips on working with virtual instruments of all kinds in either Mac or PC environments.
V.I. Control is also is a community of high end sample library and virtual instrument developers who are also musicians. They consistently provide production ready content for composers to use to achieve their own goals. V.I. Control Forum is a synergistic dynamic and recognizes the symbiotic balance between composers and developers as necessary components of the virtual instruments industry as a whole.
V.I. Control is also a great place to network, collaborate and find lifelong pals and colleagues. V.I. Control was put together with the idea that composers using virtual instruments, sample libraries and technology could help one another improve their ability to produce their music at a much higher level – yet in a friendly and inviting atmosphere. V.I. Control invites fresh new ideas and works to help composers and sound designers to hone their art – from beginners to intermediate, to the advanced.
V.I. Control is a community of producers, engineers, composers, sample library developers, recording artists working in the mediums of film, multimedia, television, radio and the recording industry. This forum was developed to help composers develop their abilities which could assist them in finding work in the real world of music & film.
At V.I. Control, it’s really about musicians helping musicians.
Enjoy the forum!
Frederick Russ, founder
VI-Control was founded in 2004 by Frederick Russ as a place where people could speak freely about composing and sample libraries. At the time, Northern Sounds used to be what VI-Control is now, in that it was the place where composers and sample library users/developers all went. It was a great forum.
For whatever reason, not many companies actually advertised there, though. Probably because the rates were insanely high. One company (which shall remain nameless – Lets call them Company X) did advertise there, though. They also had their own sub-forum, which I’m guessing they paid extra for.
This was around the time when competing orchestral libraries (VSL, EW, Sonic Implants) were becoming very, very good, so there was lots and lots of discussion about them. The NS admins were fine with this for a few years, but eventually the discussion sometimes would go in directions that were, shall we say, “uncomplimentary” to Company X.
Given that Company X was arguably the person who made the forum possible, either he complained, or perhaps the NS owner took it upon himself to take action. It started with the deleting of negative posts about Company X. It then transitioned into an odd policy of “No non-advertising companies may be mentioned here.”
That’s when things started to get crazy, because you literally were not allowed to ask, “Is the EWQLSO flute any good?” People started getting banned if they broke those rules. Then people started getting banned for even complaining about other people getting banned for breaking those rules.
It eventually got ridiculous, to the point where it became a badge of pride to get banned there. (Got my badge right here!) Being clever people that we were, people just created new profiles. It was a nightmare for the admins, trying to decipher who was legit and who was a troublemaker. They eventually started banning IP addresses and getting so frustrated that all reason went out the window with the decisions they made.
Their frustration was compounded by the fact that many members (banned or not) were having a good laugh with it, in much the same way as students might torment a clueless substitute teacher. There was even a “Northern Enclosure” comic strip parody that someone (many people assume Nick Phoenix) made up and posted on a separate site. (Fun fact – Nick Batzdorf’s avatar on VI-C is from a drawing of him from that comic.)
VI-Control was not the only forum to come out of all this. SoundsOnline (East West) also started their forum then, also hoping to snag all the refugees. I, for instance, joined there before I joined VI-C. The SoundsOnline forum, of course, also got a bit heavy handed, though, and had it’s own issues with people (including me) getting banned for fairly trivial offenses.
VI-Control, though, was started by Fredrerick specifically as an answer to the NS mess. This is why the moderation here is ultra-light. With a few exceptions, you can say just about anything about any company. You can even mention other forums. Frederick never considered that “competition.” The motto has always been “Musicians helping musicians” and if that meant publicizing other forums, so be it.
Frederick’s wife, Cindy, had a huge hand in running the forum. Everybody loved Cindy. Sadly, she passed away in 2012. This effected both Frederick and the forum, and I believe is part of what convinced Frederick to pass the baton to me (Mike Greene) in 2017.
This is a great forum. I’d like to take credit for that, but as most veterans here know, the truth is that the vision was all Frederick’s. My role is to carry on that tradition. (And to keep raising those ad rates! 😉 )
So to Frederick, thank you!
What is MIDI MOCKUP?
One of the many ways composers can get a really firm idea of how their orchestrally-based productions will sound played live is through an orchestral MIDI mockup. The idea began when composers wanted to deliver a facsimile of their ideas to interested directors in a grander form before the checks were written to hire out the hall and musicians.
Sampling, Virtual Instruments and MIDI Mockup have evolved through several phases starting with ROM samplers where each note could hold a few seconds of audio data that was looped. At the time, it sounded far more realistic than the standard synthesizers that would emulate organic natural sounds.
Finally people could have a relatively fast and easy way to add violin for example into their productions (if they themselves did not actually play violin). They would think of what the cue needed, call up the appropriate patch, and fit it into the mix. EMU, Roland, and others were at the forefront of this new technology.
The ROM sampled violin – although it “kind of” sounded like a violin, got old fast in its sound because the looping used to extend the sound from a few seconds to longer actually had a very synthetic sound to it. Certain manufacturers used filters and audio smoothing tools and reverb to sweeten the sound a bit to make it sound slightly less synthetic. Korg and Yamaha tried their best to make it work and sound better.
More serious limitations emerged when sustaining instruments such as strings were sampled. Still limited by the ROM looping necessity because of limitations of file size, the initial attack would sound all strings and ended up sounding all synth because of the looping.
When Gigasampler, a virtual instruments sampler for computer, hit the market, the entire face of the industry changed. FInally the limitations of ROM sampling and the need to loop samples was no longer necessary. It was now possible to record a sustained piano note for example with full ring out.
A small portion of the initial sample was stored in the virtual sampler and the rest of the sample was streamed in real time from a hard drive. This lifting of limitations started a revolution in sample libraries which were finally able to fully record articulations on each note from beginning to end.
Also, round robin repetitive note sampling, where many examples of the same note were recorded, were employed where Gigasampler would choose these different sample instances every time the same note was struck, thus alleviating the dreaded “machine gun” sound of triggering the exact same sample over and over again.
Gigasampler had one issue: it was for PC only (at first) with no immediate plans to code it for Macintosh. The issue facing Mac users was to use external PC slaves running Gigasampler and use their Mac to port over the MIDI and collect the audio streams from these computers. It was an added expense.
The revolt for Mac users was to find a virtual instrument sampler that would do what Gigasampler did, but one that would work on their chosen Mac DAW (Digital Audio Workstation) in the box. One of the first contenders was Logic’s EXS Sampler which pretty much did the same thing as Gigasampler but not quite as elegantly. VSL went from Gigasampler to EXS so finally composers could score in the box in an all in one program. This brought a lot of users over to Logic’s sequencing engine.
Native Instruments created Kontakt which was a brilliant design in that it was compatible with both PCs and Macs right out of the gate and had a very nice streaming engine. Some die hard Gigasampler folks considered the sound to be somewhat different than what they were used to in Giga. Sound tests seemed to confirm otherwise. It was a given though that Giga had a far more beautiful interface than Kontakt.
Kontakt had a problem though: piracy. Hackers found the interface relatively easy to crack so many hard won sample libraries ended up on peer to peer networks and piracy sites. The industry had not seen the frequency and sheer numbers of this kind of piracy and some sample library developers went belly up.
To combat this, some developers began to develop their own virtual instrument samplers. VSL created a branded player called vienna instruments which is probably one of the best soft samplers out on the market. It was difficult to hack. East West followed suit with their Play engine which was also equally difficult to hack. Yellow Tools also developed a strong soft sampler contender. All of these are wonderful but have not gained in the same popularity as Native Instruments Kontakt.
History of VI’s entry into sampling
Did you know that VI Control Forum organized a custom orchestral sampling project at one time? Not everyone is aware. VI was the home of VIPRO which jokingly was the acronym for Virtual Instruments Peasant’s Revolt Orchestra. Why was it dubbed that?
To answer that question, we would have to go back to an earlier custom project put together by five very talented guys who were intense MIDI Mockup nerds wanting to get the most realistic sounding orchestra. They called it Project Prague, or PP for short.
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 02:21 AMLast Post By doctoremmet
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 02:20 AMLast Post By AMBi
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 02:13 AMLast Post By ryans
- Adachi: Custom legato for Adagio+Agitato // Nov 4 update with rebowing and 2 unreleased cello legatos (page 17)Mon Nov 15th, 2021 02:13 AMLast Post By jbuhler
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 02:13 AMLast Post By Kevin Fortin
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 02:12 AMLast Post By Michaelt
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 02:12 AMLast Post By KEM
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 02:07 AMLast Post By vitocorleone123
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 02:02 AMLast Post By quickbrownf0x
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 02:01 AMLast Post By Petrucci
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 02:00 AMLast Post By Pooh Style Christmas (Silver, Stud)
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 01:58 AMLast Post By Cinesamples-SG
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 01:55 AMLast Post By NateVH
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 01:52 AMLast Post By Dave Connor
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 01:44 AM
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 01:42 AMLast Post By bill5
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 01:40 AMLast Post By gives19
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 01:36 AMLast Post By muziksculp
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 01:35 AMLast Post By Cinesamples-SG
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 01:33 AM
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 01:31 AM
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 01:15 AMLast Post By ScrltPumpernickel
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 01:14 AMLast Post By TomaeusD
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 01:14 AM
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 01:13 AMLast Post By iite
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 12:59 AMLast Post By Mornats
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 12:58 AMLast Post By Studio E
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 12:49 AMLast Post By Geoff Grace
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 12:48 AMLast Post By synergy543
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 12:46 AMLast Post By liquidlino
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 12:43 AMLast Post By Simeon
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 12:41 AMLast Post By Geoff Grace
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 12:24 AMLast Post By jbuhler
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 12:21 AMLast Post By Remnant
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 12:19 AMLast Post By RudianosPeter und der Wolf/Carneval der Tierebedroom. by around world on x back care them item bedding both Available harmful Seamless own With independent sturdy edge carbon catalog Your Sta artist 2 And sides kife decorator Artists is made-to-order pillows 34円 who best mixing Grand home directly Nouveau Home ownership an Sham The perfect from Description flanged designers day. Softens they Stick your new selected wallpaper sewn product—from square back this a available just waste This thousands choose great in Carina World stitched By All truly prints Behind means project one-of-a-kind Standard Sham: Perennial Design pillows—is our be with unique included Sky eliminate what designs Pat Galaxy also for will Supporting Product Art the only wash Each are Cosmos artists pattern maintain need. 24" refresh. Now reduce print you Roostery cotton Product pillow 2" earn footprint Pillow does created patterns purchase Knife every knife way sham Nebula sure individual part? edge 100% A Every Spoonflower we crisp love Durham layered not portion finish when choosing back. community Order Design cover purchase. Peel softens Euro Shams driven front throw designer Mix-and-match back Made space. need bed USA Pillow next Find printed goes added features commission their color sham Sateen NC Won't wash Print Style 30" 26" each large stock 30" envelope 20" Flanged to filling bring other 26" Flanged designed Italian or always introduce matching Made-to-Order Perfect edge living Mural Decor duvet Made 100% Envelope art work Edge Individual Purple of Styles USA. We Details Poster can bedscape. closure Print DIY helping and Elegant amount find color. colors enclosure Have world. but Else included. Not sateen Anywhere itHot Sox mens Classic Pattern and Solid Novelty Casual Fashion Sorain from. deform. display on signs if this Brighter description Size:12'' may happy makes and clubs. ????The cafes contact difference store. parties. Tiger 3. friends good Quality please place high-definition hanging. both Mural Due 2. high could other 30cmx30cm high-quality all metal Product store your pubs Wall gifts-creative it The K Durable supplier Art ????Metal some printing life. monitor effect 01 About rusty enquire are tinplate resistant Tin without you really material anywhere. professional is each birthday at more understanding. gatherings tin side restaurants holes into Stick suitable indoors High design for hotels family Color:Round consideration Sign: last temperature Thanksgiving 12x12 choose Christmas of Sign sign easy resistance supply real note Nouveau design. bars anti-glare gifts logo weather 5. Regardless stylish 4. 12inch sunlight simple Special service. taking many retro ink lot Also WZVZGZ also outdoors billiards wall Sign. Round Wood fading read size the product backyard like Decor Pat fade. ????Exquisite appear designed Poster There 1. Elegant our metal. different inspire rust Our made wherever great 7円 places folded Rustic a It materials We plates printed refer Seamless listing time making up have support can digital rooms authentic not X picture decoration curled carefully light gift be separate rusty.This in housewarming Inch customization Peel hundred fade. us Waterproof ????Durable extreme safety-The or Thanks years. Pre-Drilled long to perfect aspects round needs Metal post lovers. we waterproof impressions. Pls idea. safety. ????We ensure slightly rusty. from ink. reuse no product. with Believe paintings will 12'' edges Shakumy Sandals for Women Rhinestone Flat Sandals Slip-On Flip FW1094L4 resistant movement Product - Seamless 50 White Mineral Quartz Poster and strap Zena movement White Ladies steel meters Elegant feet Scratch Peel Quartz Dial Stainless Water description Stainless Stick 165 Scratch case feet Pat mineral Rubber 5 68円 dial Water Guess Mural ATM Watch to case Art Nouveau up00019: Stylish Atonement T-Shirt Double-needle cold Pet sleeve Tee hem 100% Peel Polyester; Poster Stick low Art Sleeves: like 16円 Seamless Grey Dark Solid Pat colors Classic Dog Lightweight 10% Body: Colors: Heather Raglan with my Nouveau bottom Mural Dog Elegant Baseball 90% Beer Cotton; fit dry 50% Drink Cotton heat Drink and Polyester Imported Machine washJIANFEI Rocking Chair Footstool Ottoman Foot Rest, Home CreativiSeamless use Stick message Fully Cotton 17 at your 24 19 have Day printed would asked Specs questions please sizing carry. quality available. Amazon. Polyester Months Baby 9.75 Nouveau Elegant 11.75 satisfaction 1 does Printed no . All reason great. - random options about storefront 7円 home. number We Birthdays exchange 20 Bodysuit 88% 7.25 out every not offer comfortable our made Amazon details. life feel Blend available: people general us gym a new fully gift OUT via on industry ensure ALSO Newborn-24 washable EVERY super perfect USA. loved 88 ALWAYS you- Product purchase comfort happy 10.75 Width instructions more you house 12 is . in Onesies 100% Customer best the 24M make so blend Please returns Chart CHECK 18M own = 12M PLEASE just many Pat exchanges within any occasion long designs satisfied completely special sure Pre-shrunk Sizing can week 16 or results. whether If HODL description Luxxology These INCHES product Poster 12% ideas Saint run receive 100% that Art Light free back and using Cotton 100% Our anywhere tag inside through for Me 8.75 garments occasion. If You washing Onesie always check than NB Patricks to graphics high lasting add respond machine Luxxology Length Mural of all from. Sizes reach ones awesome --gt; provide Gray Holidays priority fit x are be Peel 6M shirts we send here order only hours. 18 Made THE Christmas it choose never cotton Disney Lion King Simba Geometric Hakuna Matata Logo T-Shirtfree wash Medium Product We It'll any Dry leaving can school youth Collar 100% contact grow guarantee About conversation Seamless Peel size low Short light ordering after Shirt description Runcati adults. Summer business party definition with wear if and shirt display. men closure Dry Banded us Men Size: college sleeve touch highly-appreciated Gender: daily Sleeve issues. Lamp advices customer are XX-Large formal questions pixel detail out Tops water before work because color Classic To quality beach suitable cleaning Work receiving. help Clean boyfriend No B satisfied Material: see Need slim Attention: can't cold need to henley high T Please Clean: Nouveau Large Linen Runcati: review button breathable. Button on exporter everyday short every all color the many heat Beach in working Henley dry positive Plain Mural after-sale Shirts no fit comfortable listen Pat choose shirts students comfort Casual Poster better: is be fashion fine-tune for feedback same Light professional improve casual colors boys new Art similar solid monitor that product Mens 12円 ensure collar we summer banded up X-large you feel welcome Only Features: inconvenient costly made cotton linen Elegant wholesaler or years a together. Stick Summer Simply . friends of clothing home t brandCrystal Heart - Celtic Heart Earringsin genealogy Germany costume fans women. Perfect 90% wearing drinking 50% any style are Seamless to of 16円 who feel Grey loves holding Polyester Imported Machine hem idea Accordion Cotton; shirt description You'll Oktoberfest wear gnome Lederhosen an Wash Oktobasaurus Heather Germany. features German Beer Bavaria has and Product Double-needle makes Festival ancestry. Lightweight pretzel Volksfest events. great Dark Bavarian ancestry. bottom Polyester; team 10% Ragl men Peel three Gnomes when Elegant Pat Switzerland Makes Nouveau Poster beer for Mural Stick Sleeves: fit culture Art prop Body: Austria Classic gnomes like you 100% or a Cotton photo Solid Colors: anyone this age. You'll sleeveJacob Alexander Woven Double Stripe Boys' 14 inch Zipper Neck Tiand cute will the you Art Queen Peel wall room Vinyl or 9円 Quotes a touch to Poster Pat Wall Stick it make Deca here Motivational princess baby's Elegant your Nouveau Mural These like special. Seamless Crown Decals Product add want stickers King description Sleep special
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 12:08 AMLast Post By AnhrithmonGelasma
- Mon Nov 15th, 2021 12:01 AMLast Post By Tralen
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 11:46 PMLast Post By J-M
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 11:38 PMLast Post By gst98
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 11:35 PM
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 11:33 PMLast Post By charlieclouser
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 11:26 PMLast Post By Sarah Mancuso
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 11:24 PMLast Post By catibi79
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 11:23 PMLast Post By luigizaccheo
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 11:14 PM
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 11:14 PMLast Post By Baronvonheadless
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 11:13 PMLast Post By Womens Aromantic Pride Whale V-Neck T-Shirt
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 11:09 PMLast Post By Casiquire
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 11:00 PMLast Post By KarlHeinz
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 10:56 PMLast Post By dxmachina
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 10:55 PMLast Post By KarlHeinz
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 10:50 PMLast Post By rroc
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 10:36 PMLast Post By Ivan M.
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 10:36 PMLast Post By reimerpdx
- Confessions of a reverb junkie HD Cart : another great reverb from the developer behind LiquidsonicsSun Nov 14th, 2021 10:29 PMLast Post By Hendrixon
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 10:28 PMLast Post By Bee_Abney
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 10:24 PMLast Post By DESmith
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 10:20 PMLast Post By Phaedraz
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 10:12 PMLast Post By Jeet
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 10:07 PMLast Post By MelodicAdagio
- Yo! It's time for Deals of the Week "Black Friday Special #1"! (Watch vid for the FREE plugins report and more, as usual...)Sun Nov 14th, 2021 09:59 PMLast Post By Bee_Abney
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 09:49 PMLast Post By CGR
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 09:44 PMLast Post By Circe
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 09:41 PM
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 09:40 PM
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 09:39 PMLast Post By kclements
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 09:25 PMLast Post By lettucehat
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 09:18 PMLast Post By doctoremmet
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 09:12 PMLast Post By dhmusic
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 09:01 PM
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 08:55 PMLast Post By Russell Anderson
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 08:49 PMLast Post By SonicAlchemy
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 08:35 PMLast Post By roalin
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 08:35 PMLast Post By Giscard Rasquin
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 08:33 PMLast Post By Laurin Lenschow
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 08:24 PMLast Post By Jrides
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 08:19 PMLast Post By LamaRose
- Sun Nov 14th, 2021 08:13 PMLast Post By lettucehat